Jessica Dhu with her five year-old son Rihan Jarrett who saved her life after waving down traffice after an accident. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star
Jessica Dhu with her five year-old son Rihan Jarrett who saved her life after waving down traffice after an accident. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star Marc Stapelberg

Northern Rivers five-year-old saves mum from horror crash

HAD it not been for the heroic actions of her five-year-old son, Jessica Dhu said she might not have survived the crash that crumpled her car against a tree.

The Casino mum was driving along Summerland Way, about five kilometres north of Wiangaree, with her two kids, son Rihan Jarrett and four-year-old Summer, on Sunday when the car aquaplaned out of control.

"I tried to correct it but it wouldn't correct, it just slid straight into a tree," she said.

"I blacked out, I don't remember much at all."

It was only later, at hospital, that Ms Dhu discovered son Rihan had climbed out of the wreckage, scrambled up an embankment and flagged down a passing motorist to help, while she and her daughter lay unconscious in the car.

"I found out once I got to the hospital that little Rihan got out and got up on the highway and started waving down cars and got a four-wheel-drive to pull over," she said.

"He said he wanted them to save mummy.

"I'm proud of him. Very, very proud of him.

"I always thought that if something like that happened in an emergency situation my kids wouldn't know what to do.

"No-one would have known we were out there unless Rihan went up to the road and started waving down cars.

"I could have nearly died there, being trapped like that, especially with my head injury.

"I reckon I would have slipped into a coma."

Rihan sustained minor injuries from the seatbelt in the crash and his sister was pulled from the wreckage unharmed.

Ms Dhu suffered a cracked rib, cuts and bruises down her arm, bruised knees and bruised and cut feet.

Rihan's dad Lee Jarrett had been travelling a few kilometres ahead on his motorcycle and was waiting at a petrol station in Kyogle for the family to drive past.

When he saw a caravan pass that his partner had overtaken he became worried.

Shortly after, an ambulance and police car drove past, which he followed to the crash site.


Riley Greaves

When Riley saw his four-year-old brother Ethan slip and go under the water at a local swimming pool in December 2014, he was quick to respond.

The East Lismore eight-year-old lifted his little brother's head above water and took him to where he could stand.

"He was coming over to try and tell me something and I saw he had a red face so I picked him up and took him where he could touch the bottom," Riley said.

"When I got him he was coughing up water and he spewed.

"I was worried about him dying because I didn't want him to drown before Christmas."

A visit to the GP gave Ethan a clean bill of health to celebrate Christmas with his family.

Kyle Rhodes

The story of how this 16-year-old Goonellabah teenager saved a young girl's life by pulling her unconscious from the bottom of the Goonellabah Sports and Aquatic Centre went viral with tens-of-thousands of views.

Kyle was swimming with his niece and nephew in January this year, when his nephew told him "uncle, she's still under, she's still under".

He instantly dived under to retrieve the girl from the bottom.

Lifeguards on duty at the centre assisted seconds later and commenced resuscitation on the side of the pool.

Thanks to Kyle's quick response, the young girl's life was saved.

Evans Surf Lifesaving trio

Aidan Yourell, 16, Rachael Redman, 15, and Jacob Harcourt, 15, were called to rescue two people in a capsized tinny attempting to cross the Evans Head bar in February.

During an interview with The Northern Star a few days later, the trio were called to another rescue involving a surfer who had been pushed up against rocks in rough surf conditions at Shark Bay.

Fortunately, the man managed to get himself back to shore where paramedics treated his minor injuries.