Highway open to traffic following rollover

LATEST The Cunningham Highway has since reopened to traffic after the wreckage of a B-Double carrying liquid anhydrous ammonia was cleared.

Police have revoked an emergency declaration made under the Public Safety Preservation Act at Cunningham's Gap last night declared at about 9pm last night.

UPDATE: Police have advised that the clean up of a trucking carrying liquid ammonia on the Cunningham's Gap is progressing well and the highway should be reopened in the next few hours.

A b-double carrying a 32-tonne load of liquid anhydrous ammonia crashed and rolled about 1km south of the helipad on the Cunningham Hwy about 9pm Wednesday night.

Authorities created a large exclusion zone as the process of shifting the spill into another truck commenced.

Police say the load has been successfully removed and the crashed truck has been righted.

Finals checks are underway to ensure it is safe to remove the truck.

EARLIER: A large section of the Cunningham Hwy is expected to remain closed until about 4pm today after a truck carrying 32 tonnes of Ammonia crashed.

Authorities will now face the painstaking task of removing the highly volatile liquid from the truck's tanker - a task which is expected to take some hours. 

Police say preliminary information suggests the truck's driver lost control of the vehicle about 1km on the Warwick side of the Helipad - near Cunningham's Gap - about 9pm last night.

A police spokesman said diversions were in place from Aratula.  

An emergent situation for and a 500 metre exclusion zone of the highway between Lake Moogerah Rd, Aratula and Fisher Park truck stop, Maryvale.

There is a 500m exclusion area around the truck due to the nature of the chemical, liquid anhydrous Ammonia.

It is expected The Gap will be closed into the morning allowing emergency crews to decant the liquid into another truck and then recover and remove the B-Double.

The scene where a truck crashed on the Cunningham Hwy. Photo Today Show